A cornerstone of our strategy is the use data & insight to help us to offer a place that customers love to shop, so Sainsbury’s Argos decided to build its own Data Science and Machine Learning capability to automate and improve the millions of decisions that we need to make every day. to provide great availability of products to our customers across multiple fulfilment propositions and at a competitive price.
We are an engaged and committed team that provides professional analytics & reporting solutions to our business enabling key improvements to be made across the Supply Chain and to drive tangible business benefits.
As a Data Scientist in the Supply Chain and Customer Fulfilment function, you will join a team building predictive and prescriptive models to optimise business trade-offs, specifically but not limited to: demand sensing, demand forecasting, store assortment planning, inventory, flow and customer availability optimisation.
More about the role:
• Lead your own projects, delivering to time and objective
• Research, design and prototype algorithms and models within relevant business domain(s) keeping a focus on quantifying performance in a business-relevant way
• Proactively acquire data from various sources and analyse it to improve data quality and understanding for desired application
• Tell engaging stories using simple language and exciting visualisations to influence change and explain complex concepts to non-technical audience
• Execute experiments to quantify the performance of your algorithms in both digital and physical domains and test business hypotheses
• Support and advise on the creation of productionised solutions by Agile development teams on a Hadoop/Spark/Python stack to support the team strategy
• Proactively engage with the business and engineering functions (and cross-functionally) to investigate and define possible applications of data to business problems in a way that can drive tangible benefits
More about you:
• MSc or PhD in relevant subject (mathematics, physics, statistics, econometrics, operational research, computer science or related fields)
• Strong experience in quantitative/operations research and data science/analytics
• Able to find solutions to loosely defined business problems leveraging complex data
• Experienced in database querying (e.g. Microsoft SQL) and performing statistical analyses on large data sets of very sparse data (e.g. at store/SKU level over multiple time periods – 17 million data points per period – where 85% of stocked products sell less than one unit per store per week)
• Strong ability to design and implement experiments on modern platforms (MySQL, Hadoop, Mongo) with modern languages (Python, R, Scala)
• Familiar with Python and Data Science stack (pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib, etc.)
• Practical experience in using data mining and machine learning techniques (e.g. linear regression, logistics regression, decision trees algorithms, clustering, neural networks)
• Design of Experiments (DOE), hypothesis testing and the scientific method
• Familiar with project management methodologies such as Agile and/or Kanban
• Business experience of retail merchandising and supply chain optimisation (including demand forecasting, stock optimisation, assortment planning, range optimisation, pricing and markdown optimisation) a plus
• Operational Research and optimisation experience (algebraic modelling, Linear Programming, Mixed Integer Programming) a plus
We know that candidates may be put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. While we can’t always accommodate every flexible working request, we do support part-time and job share roles so are happy to be asked how we can work around your availability. So if you are excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren’t sure if you are 100% there yet… why not apply and see how it goes?
Here at Sainsbury’s Argos we’re a proud equal opportunities employer that values diversity at every level of our business. Inclusion and Diversity are fundamental to our culture and values, fostering an innovative, collaborative and fast paced work environment that means we can build a better future for our colleagues and our customers. Everyone is welcome at Sainsbury’s Argos. Want to find out more? Then visit our Diversity & Inclusion page on our Careers site – www.argos.careers/diversityandinclusion