At Sainsbury’s Argos, the great digital transformation is under way. It’s our aim to become the digital market leader in choice, value and convenience, so our Finance teams are more important to us now than ever before. They’re the people who provide support across the business and help make the crucial decisions that will allow us to develop into a leading digital retailer.
We have joined Sainsbury’s in our journey to become a leading retail organisation and ensuring we place our customers at the heart of everything we do. Together we have a great opportunity to build a brilliant future and do a fantastic job for all our customers.
Distribution is the lifeblood of Argos, with our distribution centres responsible for replenishing over 800 stores with the stock required to meet our customers’ needs.
You will be the based at the Bridgwater Distribution Centre, and be the primary finance contact on site for local management. Your peers will include the analysts based at the other Distribution Centres across the country, all of whom report into the Central Distribution Finance team based in our Milton Keynes head office.
As a Site Analyst you will provide daily, weekly, periodic and annual analytical support to the Distribution Centre management team, including financial information and analysis, to help them make sound commercial business decisions and ultimately drive savings. You will also provide the Distribution Finance Manager with both a short and long-term view of pertinent issues concerning the Distribution Centre operation and identify any material risks to, and opportunities for, the main business.
As a Site Finance Analyst your main responsibilities will include:
- To prepare the weekly and periodic management accounts for the on site Management team. Preparing both figures and commentary and presenting the figures to the team.
- To prepare plans and budgets for the Distribution Centre management, obtaining mutual commitment and agreement and subsequently reviewing performance deviations and advising of required future corrective actions in review and ad-hoc team meetings.
- To attend weekly finance updates with the Distribution Centre Manager to provide further analysis if required, providing information, professional advice and interpretation of data thereby actively participating in the decision-making process of Distribution.
- To complete the daily volume information required by both on site Management team and Central Distribution.
- Evaluate tactical local Distribution projects, understanding how each will impact on the growth of Argos and retrospectively ensure that the stated benefits of each project are delivered to the business.
- To manage the overall integrity of balance sheet accounts pertinent to the regional Distribution Centres.
- To control the accruals and prepayment process within Distribution to ensure true business performance is reflected in the Management Accounts.
- To budget for and manage the Cashflow of the site, flagging up potential issues to the business
- To monitor and advise the Distribution Administration team on procedures and process.
- Provide financial support to all adhoc analytical projects as appropriate.
- Understand the environment in which Distribution is based and ensure that any decisions taken within Distribution are carried out with full consideration of the financial impact upon Argos.
As a Site Finance Analyst your skills & experience will ideally include:
- Professional finance qualification – ACA / ACCA / CIMA, with ideally 1-3 years PQE.
- Analytical and commercial experience gained preferably in a large company environment.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to influence effectively at all levels.
- Strong excel skills and the ability to work with large volumes of data.
- Can do attitude, comfortable with a fast pace and switching between competing priorities.
- Prior experience in a retail or distribution business desirable but not essential.
What you’ll get in return:
If being part of a hugely influential Finance team wasn’t enough, you’ll also receive a host of great benefits. As well as a competitive salary and bonus scheme you will receive a huge range of learning and development opportunities, 22 days’ holiday, a save-as-you-earn scheme, pension and staff discounts at Argos, Sainsbury’s and Habitat.