In a nutshell
The Argos Biddable Media team is responsible for building and activating digital programmatic media in support of our business goals and is a rapidly growing discipline within the group.As Biddable Media Manager, you will play a lead role in the planning, activation and optimisation of our display and programmatic efforts. Our mission is to deliver a performance media ecosystem with the best of breed technology, data, targeting, strategy and performance for programmatic media. At Sainsbury’s Argos we believe in delivering superior media efficacy, complete transparency, and leading edge innovation with the customer at the heart of our campaigns. Key to this role is the ownership of the Biddable Media program and strategy across planning, buying, measurement and improvement. This will manifest as day to day management of programmatic campaigns, meeting performance goals, exceeding business trading expectations, tracking projects, and nurturing a growing team. Channel development includes programmatic display media, video, mobile, and paid social campaigns.
What I need to do
Strategy, Technology and Agency partners
* Develop a robust strategy to implement an attribution model for biddable media.
* Continually audit and establish program and channel measurement KPIs to respond to commercial objective on a seasonal and campaign level
* Conceive and deliver a program of measurement around media effectiveness including viewability of all biddable channels
* Support the acquisition and implementation of advanced advertising technology to support automation and communications.
* Seek out new innovation partners and publishers to drive Sainsbury’s Argos position as a market leading multichannel retailer
* Activate at scale our highly valuable customer data and insight to improve key customer metrics and customer value
Reporting & people management
* Manage the biddable media team (x3 FTE) to build and deliver annual, seasonal and product campaign plans.
* Promote data-driven analysis and insights to improve campaign effectiveness and value to Sainsbury’s Argos.
* This includes advanced analytics to measure campaign revenue contribution, mobile and app contribution, cross-channel impact, end-to-end program development.
* Develop a reporting cadence to support category trading initiatives while balancing program targets
* Develop beneficial media partner relationships with adexchanges, networks, data partners and publishers - Facebook, Google.
* Implement best practices and contribute to Sainsbury’s Group companywide team knowledge sharing through effective communications, processes and presentations.
* Develop QA processes for creative and compliant assets alongside in-depth analysis to understand performance beyond top line metrics.
* Deepen collaboration across the Digital Marketing team and approach business opportunities and challenges with a cross-channel lens Campaign Management
* With support of brand and design teams, establish a compelling creative development plan to scale performance in addition to supporting customer brand metrics
* Individual will be responsible for allocated budget of c.£5m and will be fully accountable for all aspects of performance
* Develop the always-on display, video and social marketing campaigns into a scale customer acquisition channel.
* Work with trading and merchandising managers to create plans for promotional campaigns with effective actions and goals.
* Work with customer teams bringing to life our customer segmentation strategy aligned with business objectives to develop customer value.
* Establish an advanced strategy and roadmap for testing and execute and track tests with methodical accuracy.
* Manage the display and biddable media marketing budget in-line with COS and delivery expectations.
How I will succeed
* Biddable media program evolves to meet commercial and customer objectives
* Continued improvement in return on investment across all channels
* Development and execution of a clear, innovative display and programmatic strategy with identified best in class technology and agency partners
What I need to know
* Experience architecting and scaling a Display or Biddable Media ecosystem through technology and capability to present solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences.
* High level of external awareness and existing relationships across networks and publishers
* Demonstrated success in deploying, monitoring and optimising media buys against ad quality, viewability and brand safety constraints
* Highly data literate with understanding of how data flows across and through internal and external systems to bring our digital advertising to life
* Depth of practical experience in planning and buying digital media programmatically, with awareness of the adops function and processes.
* An ideal candidate is uncompromisingly data-driven, highly detailed oriented, a creative problem solver, and is a self-starter who is excited to work in a high velocity and innovative industry. You must understand the technical workings of display and programmatic media, and be able to stand toe-to-toe with agencies to make choices such as technology deployment
* You must be highly numerate – you will be accountable for explaining and improving the performance of the channel
* You must be experienced at managing significant budgets
* You will aspire to become a recognised thought leader in the industry and have technical experience of running a programmatic ecosystem
What I need to show
* Relevant qualifications across an array of publisher and technology vendors
* You will coach internal digital, marketing and commercial trading teams to use digital media effectively to improve our customer experience and acquisition.
* Managing a team of Biddable Media Executives and developing cross team relationships will be a large part of this role so effective communication, leadership, and professionalism is imperative.
* Experience in implementing media campaign strategies across Programmatic Display, Paid Social, Online Video, preferably in the retail arena.
* Experience of driving success through digital channels with experience in buying media/working with trading teams through DSPs, and through direct deals
* Familiarity with DoubleClick suite, Facebook Ads Manager and other display and video ad platforms
* Advanced data manipulation experience through excel and BI tools
* Understanding of operational processes for online digital marketing campaigns
* Knowledge of attribution and cross channel measurement of digital media
What decisions I can make
* Full accountability for allocation and performance of budget c.£5m
* Full accountability for agency choice
* Supporting role in technology choices