In a nutshell
This role is pivotal in step changing our Digital Marketing capability and ensuring we hit ambitious growth targets through having the right technology architecture foundation in place.
As Marketing Development & Technology Manager, you’ll be working closely with Digital Marketing and Data teams in defining and driving our marketing technology product strategy from conception to deployment in support of our ambitious business goals.
Your role will be pivotal in leading our mission is to deliver a performance media ecosystem with the best of breed technology, data, targeting, strategy and performance across paid search, biddable media and affiliate channels. At Sainsbury’s Argos we believe in delivering superior media efficacy, complete transparency, and leading-edge innovation with the customer at the heart of our campaigns.
Key to the role is the ownership of the cross-channel digital technology projects and their successful outcomes by working with the Senior Digital Marketing Manager to develop a clear vision for the business.
What I need to do
* Identify needs or opportunities to improve digital marketing capability including:
o Workflow automation
o Marketing data capture, analysis and visualisation
o Media buying (paid search, display/biddable media)
o Media optimisation
* Develop a compelling vision and product roadmap to fulfil our leading-edge performance media ecosystem mission with projects across the following components:
o Development, testing and implementation of a bespoke multi-channel attribution model
o Introduction of and scaling of new, incremental elements in biddable media; DSPs, AdServers, ad exchanges Product and inventory feed data quality, availability and activation through digital media
o Building a business case for the implementation of a full audience/data management platform with group wide considerations
o Working with Sainsbury’s colleagues to connect our various data sources and technology platforms
o Work with digital product and engineering teams to ensure that technology and infrastructure is deployed appropriately
o Consideration of Media Sales Business initiatives and the ability to activate opportunity between digital media buying and digital media selling
* With support of Digital Marketing Assistant establish a cogent internal communication and documentation service to ensure democratisation of data and information across the wider marketing and business functions
* Work with digital product and technology teams on discrete projects to incrementally improve channel performance – for example ownership, governance and implementation of specific marketing tags in support of commercial objectives
* Proactively spot opportunities to improve ways of working within the Digital Marketing team and work with colleagues to step change performance
* You will provide a level of central co-ordination (working alongside the channel owners) to our relationships with the major digital partners like Facebook and Google. Working with teams across the business to build annual joint business plans with each to ensure we are leveraging their capability. Project & people management
* Manage a Technology & Development Assistant and multiple agency and technology vendors to deliver complicated technology projects
* Work with large virtual teams to implement projects on time and on budget * Ensure projects are delivered to agreed scope
* Influence a diverse set of stakeholders with multiple, conflicting priorities to deliver projects for the Digital Marketing team
* Develop beneficial partner relationships with agencies, adexchanges, networks, data partners and publishers - including Facebook and Google
* Implement best practices and contribute to companywide team knowledge sharing through effective communications, documentation of processes and presentations.
* Deepen collaboration across the Digital Marketing team and approach business opportunities and challenges with a cross-channel lens
How I will succeed
* Design and implementation of a leading marketing technology ecosystem, including successful deployment of individual components
* The Digital Marketing team can meet its commercial objectives
* Development and execution of a clear, innovative digital marketing strategy with identified as leading edge but industry and vertical peers
What I need to know
* Experience architecting marketing technology solutions across channel disciplines with strong business acumen and capability to present solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences.
* Depth of practical experience in an array of leading industry tools across, analytics, bid management, tag management, data management, advert serving or creative management.
* Highly data literate with understanding of how data flows across and through internal and external systems to bring our digital advertising to life
* You must have experience of measuring and running elements of a performance marketing program from the ground-up – including Paid Search, SEO and Biddable or Display media
* You must have significant experience of working with engineering and product teams to deliver projects and robust technical documentation.
* You will have knowledge and understanding of implementing/running cloud-based SaaS solutions.
* You will be experienced at managing significant budgets * You will aspire to become a recognised thought leader in the industry and have technical experience of running a full digital marketing ecosystem
What I need to show
* High level of awareness and understanding of competitor or industry developments within Marketing Technology to further cement our position as a digital leader
* Consistently demonstrates customer-centric, clear thinking, strong commercial acumen and is able to judge when attention to detail is important
* Ability to craft end-user stories and use cases as well as writing clear, accurate functional requirements
* Ability to review a complex ever-changing landscape, develop a clear vision for the future and lead the team to deliver it.
* Inspires and engages internal colleagues and external teams at all levels, bringing people with them
* Uncompromisingly data-driven, highly numerate, a creative problem solver, and a self-starter who is excited to work in a high velocity and innovative industry.
* Sets own agenda, identifying new opportunities, balances multiple priorities, spotting potential/issues before others/before they happen
* Excellent communicator with the ability to explain complex situations and technologies to people who do not know or need to know all the detail
* You will coach internal digital, marketing and commercial trading teams to use digital media effectively to improve our customer experience and acquisition.
* A passion for innovation – you will be the change engine within the Digital Marketing team
* You must be collaborative and be able to design a vision authoritatively in conjunction with peers in specialist channel teams across Engineering and Product.
What decisions I can make
* Accountability for choices of agency partners and technology vendors