In a nutshell
This role will lead a small team within the Customer and Market Insight function to own the analytical understanding of how well our marketing activity is performing. They will primarily be accountable for building, managing and iterating a digital marketing attribution model that allows us to understand the effectiveness of each of our channels and activities at a highly granular level.
The role will also be accountable for developing, possibly through a third-parties’ assistance, a fit-for-purpose econometric model to understand the effectiveness and ROI of each channels at a more macro level.
This role will have a huge impact on the effectiveness of our marketing activity, a person who is successful within this role will play a large part of our efficiency and effectiveness of our marketing activity and therefore the overall business performance.
What I need to do
This role will be responsible for the marketing performance assessment models used within the marketing department.
This role will be responsible for the creation and management of a digital marketing attribution model and will be responsible for working with key stakeholder across marketing to ensure that the solution meets their needs. They will work very closely, on a day to day basis, with the Marketing Communications team, specifically the digital performance and campaign management teams and will be required to influence them on a tactical and strategic level.
Specifically, this Analytics Manager Role will:
- Determine the appropriate approach and methodology to create a digital marketing attribution model, one that attributes our digital sales to influencing digital channels and meets the requirements of the Performance Marketing teams.
- Build, maintain and iterate the attribution model, and introduce this into the digital marketing teams.
- Ensure that the outputs of the model are useful and actioned by the digital marketing teams, iterating and improving them over time.
- Proactively provide insights from the attribution modelling into the Marketing Performance team that allow them to optimise their activity and action any opportunities.
- Determine the appropriate approach and solution for an econometric model for the Marketing department, one that is cost-effective whilst maintaining the level of accuracy required to market marketing decisions.
- Drive the implementation of the new econometric approach, using third parties where relevant and liaising across the business to ensure the data feeds are appropriate and accurate.
- Lead a small team of Marketing Performance analysts who will be focused on implementing and reporting the outputs from attribution and econometric solutions.
How I will succeed
You will be an exceptional analyst, you will be adept at understanding the problems at the heart of a stakeholders questions and able to determine and execute the most appropriate analytical methodologies to answer it. You will communicate your findings clearly to non-technical audiences and be constantly seeking new ways of understanding the context of their questions.
What I need to know
This role is the heart of our marketing performance modelling and assessment and will therefore:
Have deep knowledge of digital marketing attribution models, their selection, advantages and disadvantages.
Be highly digitally literate, with a deep understanding of how digital marketing operates and interacts with our digital channel performance.
Be an agile and innovative thinker, you should be both astute and creative with a logical and methodical approach to problem solving, you’ll be passionate about not just data but finding the what, why and how.
Be a strong communicator, credible and articulate, with excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. You will be comfortable translating complex data into insight and stories and presenting your findings.
Demonstrate the ability to influence at all levels across the business, strong stakeholder management capability, including ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences. You will have the confidence and capability of presenting your work up to Director level.
What I need to show
Strong team management skills, and be a role model within the wider analytics community.
Technically strong in digital analytics and technologies.
A strong ability at understanding a business question and selecting an analytical technique and data sources to obtain as accurate answer as possible
Strong communication ability and demonstrable experience of influencing up to senior levels.
Exceptional analytical skills previously executed in a high paced, demanding environment
Ability to prioritise work for yourself and your team effectively
Resources available to me
A team of up to 2 analysts and budget as allocated by the Head of Customer and Market Insight
Support from the overall Sainsbury’s Argos CMI team and specifically the CVM and Performance Marketing Teams
What decisions I can make
You are accountable for the selection and performance of the attribution and econometric models and implementation. Determining what requires automation via regular reporting and selecting the most appropriate methods to execute those reports.
You are accountable for prioritising your work and the team’s tasks, ensuring that the team focus on those with the most business value. Ensuring that the methodologies and data used, will provide accurate answers to questions that can be trusted. Knowing when enough analysis is sufficient, when limited further value can be obtained.