In a nutshell
The Analytics Manager will manage the team of analysts responsible for building regular reporting and ad-hoc analysis into customer behaviour for the business, to drive new and actionable insight. The problems the team will work on will be large and varied but at their heart will be a desire to understand how our customers are behaving and how we can use this understanding to make better decisions.
With a broad set of internal stakeholders, the role will need to identify opportunities for automating analysis and building self-service tools to support the CMI team, Marketing and wider organisation. This will inform decision-making and measure success at an operational and strategic level.
The role will engage with all areas of the business to ensure that the insights meet their needs, to drive full value from our customer data.
What I need to do
This role will primarily be responsible for customer based analysis and insight and making that available across the CMI team and wider business, through ad-hoc analysis, reporting and self-serve tools. They will understand the context and background to a business question, determine suitable methodologies and craft data from multiple sources to answer that question. They will present their findings in a way that both answers the question, engages stakeholders and, where possible, has clearly defined actions available.
Specifically, this Analytics Manager Role will:
• Lead a team of Analysts, prioritising their work and providing mentoring, development opportunities to ultimately build a high-performance team of analysts.
• Prioritising the demands and requests into the team, whilst supporting the team to ensure the methodologies selected for analysis are appropriate to answer the question.
• Be a custodian of our data, working with the Data Management teams to ensure it is coherent and reporting accurate. They will feed requirements into the Data management team for new data features and aggregations.
•Looking to automate analysis through designing and commissioning reports and self-service tools. Delivering training and workshops to help stakeholders learn to self-serve or better use and understand data
•They themselves will be an exceptional analyst and will take on multiple high impact problems, translating business questions or problem into a robust set of methodologies that, once executed, provide actionable insight to non-experts. They will use multiple advanced analytics techniques as necessary will apply them to pieces of analysis as appropriate.
•This role will play an active position within both Sainsburys Argos and Sainsburys Group analytical community, leading activities and proactively championing the community.
How I will succeed
You will be an exceptional analyst, you will be adept at understanding the problems at the heart of a stakeholders questions and able to determine and execute the most appropriate analytical methodologies to answer it. You will communicate your findings clearly to non-technical audiences and be constantly seeking new ways of understanding the context of their questions.
What I need to know
This role at the core of our, analysis and insight into our data and therefore has to:
• Be an exceptional analyst, you will have considerable experience in high paced business environments in turning, often vague business questions, into a piece of analysis that will answer the problems behind the original question.
• A strong ability at understanding a business question and selecting one or more analytical techniques and data sources to obtain as accurate and robust answer as possible. Furthermore, to be able to translate this into a repeatable report or tool, selecting the most appropriate reporting medium.
• Exceptionally strong technically across multiple platforms including but not limited to Advanced Excel & Microsoft office skills, SQL (required), R, Python, visualisation software such as Tableau, PowerBI or Qlikview.
What I need to show
•Be an agile and innovative thinker, you should be both astute and creative with a logical and methodical approach to problem solving, you’ll be passionate about not just data but finding the what, why and how.
•Be an excellent communicator, credible and articulate, with excellent presentation and interpersonal skills. You will be comfortable pulling the interesting story from complex datasets and presenting your findings in an engaging manner.
•Be able to demonstrate the ability to influence Senior levels within the organisation (up to Director level), you have strong stakeholder management capability, including the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
•Strong team management skills, and be a role model within the wider analytics community.
• Ability to prioritise work for yourself and your team effectively
Resources available to me
•A team of up to 4 analysts as well as access to a larger resource pool internally or externally when necessary
•Support from the overall Sainsbury’s Argos CMI team
•Support from the wider business and analytical teams as required.
What decisions I can make
You are accountable for prioritising your work and the team’s tasks, ensuring that the team focus on those with the most business value. Ensuring that the methodologies and data used, will provide accurate answers to questions that can be trusted. Knowing when enough analysis is sufficient, when limited further value can be obtained.