Senior Java Developer – Delivery & Transportation
We are the Builders of ArgosTech and we are building the future of retail
We build technologies that customers and colleagues love and other builders respect. But we're building more than technologies, we're also building ourselves.
The future of retail technology won't come from a single effort or invention, but rather from ArgosTech teams empowered to build that future. That's why we invest in people and teams, not projects.
Our Engineering teams build new tech in greenfield status across several digital channels such as our Website (1B yearly visits), In Store Digital Tablets (12M+ monthly users), Mobile Apps (6M+ downloads) and 900 Retail Stores. We have been ranked the 2nd largest digital retailer in the UK and have just been awarded 'Tech Retailer of The Year 2017.'
In the end, we expect to build the best place in the world to build the best tech in retail.
Technologies in our stack
Java 8, Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Docker, SpringBoot, Postgres, Kafka, Mesos, Marathon, Elastic, React, Redux, Kibana, Scala, Node, Python, on a micro services architecture running on AWS.
What you’ll be doing
How do we make same day delivery possible? How do our warehouse staff know what to pick and when? How do our drivers know which house to deliver to first? These are only a few of the questions that our team answer through systematic solutions day to day. We are the engine behind a range of applications that ensure that our customers’ orders are fulfilled in line with the promise we make at point of sale and that orders are fulfilled in line with cost-effective supply chain operating models.
* Working in an agile environment cooperating with Product Managers and business stakeholders to design, develop and build new and innovative solutions that would remove some of the legacy dependency
* Working closely with DevOps to establish an independent continuous integration and deployment approach for these new services
* Bouncing off design ideas among team members to achieve a scalable solution
* Performing the role of a design authority within the team with the ability to perform peer reviews and providing constructive improvements/feedback
* Mentoring the junior and graduate engineers within the team on best practices
* Working with the wider engineering team to influence new technology, methods and frameworks
* Applying best engineering practices with other team members, and maintain code quality across applications.
* Leading and influencing team members on technical decisions and design
* Introducing new technology, methods and frameworks to the software development organisation
* Liaising with other agile teams to unblock issues and get things delivered
* Ensuring suitable testing is planned and executed
* Degree in computer science or other technical programme with exposure to programming
* Sound software development experience in a technology organisation with history of delivering at least 7 or more software systems and platforms
* Experience implementing scalable software systems and platforms
* Experience with software optimisation
* Expert knowledge in building REST APIs
* Familiarity with the workings of retail back end systems
* Bupa Healthcare cover
* Company pension – We double your 4% or 5% contribution
* Discount at Argos, Sainsbury’s and Habitat
* Holidays – 24 to 27 with the option to buy up to 10 days per year
* Sharesave scheme – Risk-free way to buy shares at a discounted rate
* Childcare vouchers
* Cycle to work scheme
* Season Ticket Loan
* 2 days paid leave to volunteer to an organisation close to your heart
* One professional subscription per year