IT Service Engineer
Technology is the driving force behind Argos’ success online, in stores, in logistics, in back office, in trading, in ranging, in design, in marketing and everywhere else in the company. We know our customers, colleagues and shareholders depend on ArgosTech to drive our success and while we respect the significance of the challenge, honestly, we live for this kind of responsibility.
As the IT Service Engineer you will provide technical management and support to a wide range of mobile devices and tablets an extensive range of hardware and applications used in the Sainsburys Argos estate. The role will focus, specifically, on mobile devices and tablet technology.
The role covers a broad spectrum of activity, including elements of; service management, incident management, change management, problem management, continual service improvement, configuration management and build activity.
With a passion for Infrastructure, tools & technology, the successful candidate will be a self-starter with all-round service experience and a demonstrable ability to manage a complex and ever-changing landscape. Able to easily build relationships and quick to appreciate how IT is used by the business, you can communicate clearly and think-on-your-feet.
What you’ll be doing;
* Providing technical management of the incident backlog, undertaking technical triage, incident resolution and & problem determination activities to restore full service operation as quickly as possible
* Where required, wipe and / or block lost or stolen devices to ensure adherence to corporate security policies
* Analysing the results of key technical activities to understand & articulate the operational stability of the service. Tracking & monitoring performance, identifying and carrying out appropriate technical remediation action if issues occur or negative trends are spotted
* Undertaking active problem management, analyzing incident data to identify underlying problems, defining and delivering activity to resolve and drive down incident volumes and to prevent on-going or significant operational impact
* Building and maintaining the Configuration Management Database (CMDB), ensuring that all relevant technical and configuration data is captured for hardware introduced into the estate
* Deployment of the latest builds and patches across the estate
* Supporting the rollout of new devices, hardware or application upgrades across the estate, providing central technical support to remote engineers during initial set-up & configuration activities
* Identifying and communicating key elements of technical debt within the area, articulating business impact, working collaboratively with the Architecture function to feed into roadmaps for upgrade or replacement
* Engaging with the Platform engineering team to understand and take-on technical support of new tools, technologies and platforms
Skills & Experience
* Hands-on experience of working in a technical role supporting mobile devices and tablets, exposure to any mobile device management package would be beneficial e.g. Airwatch, SOTI, Team Viewer, SCCM.
* Broad technical knowledge; Infrastructure Operating Systems & Platforms (eg. Windows, UNIX, LINUX, Mainframe, Cloud) / Data Centre, Operational Management & tools / Network (eg. DNS, IP addressing, LAN / WAN, Firewalls, Routers, Switches, ,Access Points, WiFi)
* Understanding of OSI Model (Open System Interconnect) and interactions of 7 Layers.
* Experience in a similar role in an IT Service Management environment, preferably with ITIL V3/2012 senior accreditation
* Demonstrates working knowledge of industry best practice including practical experience
* Ability to quickly able to assimilate and respond to risks and issues
* Logical/methodical approach to problem solving
* Passion for Technology and Customer Service