In a nutshell
The Category Manager will determine and drive the departmental strategy to deliver KPI’s sales, profit, markdown, stock, availability, market share within the Non-Food strategic framework. To lead, inspire, manage and motivate a diverse buying and merchandising team and manage their performance in line with divisional objectives. Responsible for building the supplier interface to create effective relationships and delivering an effective global sourcing strategy, they will oversee the planning and management of stock through the supply chain, delivering balanced, timely and commercial ranges.
What I need to do
- Lead, motivate, inspire and manage a diverse buying and merchandising team to deliver overall category and corporate targets, provide ongoing coaching and ensure individuals are developed to their full potential
- Establish a category level vision and it’s translation into tactical category plans, taking into consideration long term customer requirements
- Lead the daily, periodic and annual budgeting and operating plan, and trading activities to deliver to targets on sales, profit, markdown, availability, space performance - TI and PI, and market share
- Lead & set the team direction to manage stock to target: manage the divisional / departmental WSSI planning, OTB management process, Purchase orders, Markdown plan, Total / DC & store stock levels
- Work with the Head of SRT to plan stock flow through the business, join up end to end strategies to ensure store stock levels are to target, stock is managed efficiently through the supply chain, and customer demand is satisfied
- Set strategic resource plan for division to ensure structure and capability in place to deliver divisional objectives, both immediate and long term
- Set the strategic sourcing / supplier direction and translate into deliverables for the team, drive review of supplier performance within the team and set tactical actions or strategic approach to optimise supplier performance.
- To set strategic direction with Non-Food leadership team & Sainsbury’s Asia to ensure that the global sourcing network is fit for purpose immediately and long term to deliver divisional growth plan
- Ensure compliance to corporate guidelines for price, promotions, ranging and forecasting in line with Non-Food strategic framework
- Ensure team activity is legal and compliant, and that all team members are trained to understand their obligations under competition law and ethical training
- To role model collaboration and drive effective cross functional working across multiple business functions to ensure the delivery of all corporate targets, delivering commercial, quality and functional product in the immediate and - longer term through identifying the market and product developments, balancing quality and price
- Lead the team and set strategy to develop promotional plans based on customer and financial insight over a 18-24 month horizon
- Ensure the category is aligned to and plays an active role in corporate events as required
- Originate and deliver complex commercial and operational projects, sponsor strategic change programmes ensuring effective implementation
- Personally contribute to Business Unit strategic direction, play an active role in leading within the Business Unit on specific tasks as required
- Encourage an attitude of continuous improvement with respect of operational efficiency, within the framework of SMART working
- To review team systems, process and activities, identifying and leading implementation of required improvements and sharing best practices across wider functions.
- To champion the department across the business leading on corporate and Non-Food projects as required.
How I will succeed
- Financial – delivery to targets and budgets (Sales, Profit, Margin & Markdown, (Gross / Net margin %), Stock cover, Store and depot stock holding, MAC, Supplier and depot service, forecast accuracy)
- Leadership – Talkback scores and Colleague Engagement Index
- Strategic – Customer and Corporate goals are delivered
- Customer – improving customer satisfaction scores, improving market share
- Corporate – compliant and operationally efficient team
- Supplier management and performance across all SSL areas, delivery of Suppliers Sales and Profit contribution
- Team delivers objectives and role models corporate values
What I need to know
- Proven ability to communicate a clear vision and inspire, motivate and coach a large team to achieve outstanding performance.
- The ability to lead, manage and coach a large team, identifying and managing talent
- Recent relevant experience in a comparable senior Buying/ Merchandising/ Category Management role and knowledge within relevant sector in omni-channel retailing.
- Demonstrable skills in the delivery of sales, profit and stock targets in a complex and fast moving environment.
- Demonstrable skill in negotiation and strong commercial/ financial awareness
- Ability to plan, budget, and forecast; and deliver departmental strategies over short and long term up to 3- 5 years in the future.
- Strategic thinking and execution
- Product, market, and customer focused across a number of product categories.
- Excellent commercial, trading and data interpretation skills.
- Ability to work & problem solve cross-functionally in a complex organisational structure, prioritising and managing multiple tasks.
- Broad range of Stakeholder management, High level of influence and impact skills up to board Director level.
- Knowledge of driving change through a complex organisation
- Strong understanding of sourcing and global supply chains
- Extensive range of strong internal and an external network of contacts.
- Demonstrates a high level of judgement, drive and influence
- Sound knowledge of SSL operations (Store, Depot, Centre) and comprehensive knowledge of Company systems
What I need to show
- Inspiring leader
- Play an active role in delivering and developing the importance of the corporate values
- Treats self and others with professional respect at all times
- Uses relevant language to ensure messages are received by everyone in the right way.
- Addresses difficult issues in an open and constructive way. Asking appropriate questions about performance rather than telling an answer.
- Coaching others to recognise when there are situations preventing success and enabling others to manage these issues.
- Takes accountability where needed to ensure that our own and team targets are met
- Takes away hurdles so that new ideas have the chance to succeed.
- Making others feel energised about what needs to be achieved.
- Taking opportunities to appropriately influence the agenda for the good of the business.
- Uses processes to get results and recognising when to go outside of the process when the issue requires it.
- Being open to experimenting with ideas that have not been tried in the industry before.
- Seeks to drive out inefficiencies
- Ensures that customers are at the heart of all decisions taken
- Supporting and enabling decisions made that are based on customer feedback.
- Spotting opportunities to beat our competitors and sharing them across the business.
- Support and help colleagues to be the best they can be
- Taking a chance on people when allocating new responsibilities and roles.
What decisions can I make
- Sign off category strategy
- Sign off of product direction by category area
- Financial sign off on budgeted sales, profit and stock
- Allocation of resources across team to deliver business priorities
- Sign off on travel budget
Resources available to me
- Category team to agreed divisional structure
- MFP, RDW and planning systems
- Buying, VM and Retail Interface
- Central Support teams
About Sainsbury's Argos
At Sainsbury’s Argos, it’s our aim to become the digital market leader in choice, value and convenience. Since Argos became part of the Sainsbury’s group in September 2016 forming Sainsbury’s Argos we are now one of the largest General Merchandise and Clothing businesses in the UK with over 90,000 products across 2200 stores.
To help grow the General Merchandise and Clothing parts of our business our Commercial teams based in Ansty Park, Coventry and Milton Keynes have never been more important. They’re the people who ultimately source and provide the customers the products they want when they want them - ensuring we place our customers at the heart of everything we do.
Together we have a great opportunity to build a brilliant future and do a fantastic job for all our customers and you have the opportunity to help support this as you grow your career with us.