Argos Distribution is transforming...how can your leadership support the change in our DCs?
Distribution is the lifeblood of the company. Argos as a whole depends on ensuring that customers get the goods they want, when they want them. What the customers don’t see is the vast, sophisticated supply chain and logistics operation that makes it all possible and that where you will come in as an Operations Manager.
In a nutshell your role is to ensure all warehousing activities are managed and co-ordinated effectively so that target levels of productivity and service are achieved within cost objectives, making optimum use of all resources. You will also create a culture of engagement with colleagues, aimed at maximising their effectiveness and levels of input to improving the operation. You will also need to have the ability to "think customer" for every element of the operation you oversee to ensure that a customer focused culture is adopted across the site so that ultimately our customer receive a world class service.
Sound interesting then read on:
So here are some of your key areas of delivery:
- To co-ordinate the allocation of resources to achieve site commitments and optimise performance
- Promote and encourage team spirit and co-operation between operational team members.
- To co-ordinate short and long term operational workload plans, creating appropriate contingencies.
- To analyse performance, processes, working practices and use of resources for all areas of the operation, and take positive action to optimise unit costs, stock management and KPIs
- To contribute to warehouse capital and revenue budgets to meet divisional guidelines, ensuring stretching but realistic targets are set.
- To motivate all direct reports through effective feedback on performance, encompassing formal appraisal processes, coaching and the provision of appropriate development, to enable managers to be fully effective.
- To contribute to the selection of line managers, ensuring induction training is carried out.
- To support continuous improvement by challenging the status quo and promoting ideas in a constructive way. Ensuring adherence to agreed processes to create a consistent foundation in order for continuous improvement to flourish.
- To ensure that the Company health & safety policies and procedures are effectively implemented in all relevant functions and to request specialist assistance where necessary. Escalate to the General Manager if there are any barriers to this.
- To contribute to site and divisional projects and initiatives.
- To role model the Company values and support corporate and site policies and objectives.
- To give priority to exceeding the needs of customers, demonstrating and promoting a customer focused approach to operational activities.
So that's a bit about what you will be doing, now it’s about you. What skills and experience do you need to be a success in this role?
- Proven ability to lead, inspire and motivate a team
- Proven focus on delivering excellent service for your customers
- Experience of managing large teams
- Proven track record of personally having driven performance and service improvements
- Very strong influencing skills
- Full understanding of supply chain within FMCG environment.
- Detailed knowledge of the principles of Continuous Improvement
- Strong numeric, analytical and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft software packages, including Word, Excel and Access
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
Argos is a unique, multi-channel retailer, recognised for choice, value and convenience. Our leaders instinctively motivate and engage with their teams, keeping them in the know to support the delivery of a great customer experience within our stores. We support, develop and work with our leaders, which helps people understand and support our transformation into a “Digital Retail Leader”.
For this role, you may have experience of any of the following: Warehousing / Distribution / 3PL / Line Management / Senior Management / Logistics / Retail.
What you’ll get in return
A competitive salary, discretionary bonus scheme, company pension scheme, 30 days holiday along with colleague discounts.