Our greatest asset is our people, so it's important that they get looked after properly. The successful HR Assistant will make it their primary aim to make sure there is effective management of every employee, by providing high level and first class support to Line Managers.
The role primarily supports Managers within our Distribution Centre environment and cover all core aspects of the employee lifecycle from recruitment screening, coordinating interviews, through to providing advice and guidance on investigations, disciplinary issues and grievances.
This role does have an administration focus, accurately maintaining records and reports, and supporting the HRBP in the delivery of HR activity on site including communication with colleagues and looking after site based initiatives.
The successful candidate will be expected to be a self-learner and drive their own personal development whilst ensuring high HR standards are maintained within the site.
We're a business that has a great history but we are also seriously transforming the way we do things now and for the future. We have recently joined Sainsbury’s in our journey to become a leading retail organisation and ensuring we place our customers at the heart of everything we do. Together we have a great opportunity to build a brilliant future and do a fantastic job for all our customers.
As HR Assistant your main responsibilities include:
* Be the site contact for all first line HR related queries, supporting completion of tasks through our central HR Administration team at Head office.
* Be able to understand and interpret company policies effectively and provide advice to Line Managers on casework, supporting with investigations and note-taking where necessary. Escalating higher level / complex issues to the HRBP.
* Have a strong ability to be able to coach First Line Managers with their ongoing development in their role.
* Build and maintain an effective partnership relationship with Unite Union Steward organising partnership meetings and making minutes of meetings available.
* Co-ordinate site Occupational Health activities by being the first point of contact with the provider.
* Monitor and report use of Occupational Health ensuring that it is in line with service level agreements.
* Manage Occupational Health advice with Line Managers accordingly regarding restrictions and potential capability cases.
* Identifying areas that may need HR intervention such as identifying areas of support for Line Managers (investigation training, absence training, and recruitment training).
* Supporting Line Managers with the preparation of letters relating to employee relations activity (disciplinary, grievance, investigations, absence and flexible working).
* Coordinating site benefit information and communications on site, including organising employee events, drop-in clinics, and occupational health clinics.
* Organise meetings / room bookings and undertake HR administrative tasks and others as directed by the HRBP.
* Be the site champion for employee engagement activity with colleagues, organising recognition activity, competitions, etc.
As HR Assistant your skills & experience will ideally include:
* Ideally be educated to A-Level standard or equivalent, with qualifications in English and Maths
* Qualification in HR or HR related certificate / study would be preferred
* Possess experience working within a similar level HR Assistant / Coordinator role would be advantageous
* Knowledge of employment law, policies and procedures preferred
* Be a good relationship builder who will proactively build relationships with line managers
* Ability to multi -task and prioritise workload working at pace
* Possess excellent spoken and written communication skills
* Good operational knowledge of Microsoft Office (word, excel, outlook etc)
* Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines, with minimal supervision
* Able to deal with managers at all levels and influence line managers
What you’ll get in return:
As well as a competitive salary and a huge range of learning and development opportunities, you’ll also enjoy 24 days’ holiday, a save as you earn scheme, two days’ paid volunteering, discretionary annual bonus, company pension and staff discounts at Argos, Sainsbury’s and Habitat.