Senior Software Development Engineer
The imagining, building, operating and evolving of great technology is the engine of growth for Argos. Argos Technology is responsible for the website, Apps, our in-store digital experience, supply chain and distribution, order management and the data behind all of this. We are the engine making everything work; solving problems, building software, fast, with the aim of creating an unrivalled user experience for our customers.
We are changing our technology platform from a monolithic architecture to microservices, based on Java, React.js, Machine Learning and Cloud computing. We are looking for engineers with a strong belief in agile delivery and who believe in fully testable and maintainable code.
On top of that we want like-minded Engineers who are able to talk about what they have done, how we develop our technology and importantly shape our engineering culture here at our Technology hub in London.
What you will be doing
- Working in an agile environment cooperating with Product Managers and business stakeholders to design, develop and build microservices that would remove some of the legacy dependency.
- Working closely with DevOps to establish an independent continuous integration and deployment approach for these new services.
- Bounce off design ideas among team members to achieve a scalable solution
- Perform the role of a design authority within the team with the ability to perform peer reviews and provide constructive improvements/feedback
- Mentor the junior and graduate engineers within the team on best practices
- Work with the wider engineering team to influence new technology, methods and frameworks.
- Apply best engineering practices with other team members, and maintain code quality across applications.
- Lead and influence team members on technical decisions and design.
- Introduce new technology, methods and frameworks to the software development organisation
- Spring framework
- Postgres sql
- Docker, Vagrant
- TDD / BDD
- ELK stack
- Degree in computer science or other technical programme with exposure to programming.
- Sound software development experience in a technology organisation with history of delivering at least 7 or more software systems and platforms.
- Experience implementing scalable software systems and platforms. Experience with software optimisation.
- Expert knowledge in building REST APIs
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Familiarity with the workings of retail backend systems i.e order management, inventory management
- You enjoy technology but have a life outside of work, we look for people bringing new experiences to the team.
You will work on building the new services for the supply chain area of order and inventory management, with the latest tech stack and following the best DevOps practices to achieve continuous integration and delivery.
We are looking for engineers who are passionate about creating scalable services across a variety of systems.