“Technology is nothing. What’s important is that you have a faith in people, that they’re basically good and smart, and if you give them tools, they’ll do wonderful things with them. “ - Steve Jobs
At Argos, we have faith and tools in abundance. We have a clear strategic vision, backed by significant IT investment. We need more good and smart people to do wonderful and amazing things.
As an Infrastructure Solution Architect, you will work with software development teams to help evolve business concepts from the ideas stage to robust, enduring and achievable infrastructure designs. The breadth and depth of our business means that this could be on cloud (AWS, Azure), in our own Data Centres, Digital Channels, Stores, Distribution Centres, Customer Management Centres and Head Office campus or any combination of the above.
Working with Infrastructure Domain Architects and other subject matter experts, your designs will underpin exciting new developments, using existing products and new infrastructure technologies.
What you will be doing
* Working with product owners and development teams to understand the IT needs that will enable their application
* Working with IT Architects and subject matter experts to understand current standard products to use in designs/patterns
* Identifying new IT needs and working with IT Architects to identify cost effective solutions to meet those needs
* Building infrastructure designs, using those building blocks and patterns
* Documenting the designs to a level required to have the resulting service Accepted into Service
* Working with delivery teams to ensure the designs are delivered as expected and any adaptations required along the way are incorporated to the design / patterns.
* Doing all of the above across a wide array of different locations and service types, matching cutting edge tech’ with legacy environments
* MS Windows 7 / Windows 10 / Windows Server inc. 2012 / Active Directory / Max OS/X
* Office 2016 / Office 365 (cloud)
* Unix (Linux, AIX, SCO), AS/400, Mainframe (zO/S)
* 10bs/100Mbs/1GbE/10GBE/40GbE Lan; Wifi to 802.11AC
* Checkpoint and Fortigate Firewalling; Cisco IOS stateful firewalling (in Stores)
* IP Telephony, Skype for Business
* MPLS Wan, Wan Acceleration, Internet connectivity, Bluecoat proxy
* 8 and 16Gbs SAN, IBM Storage arrays (Enterprise and mid range)
* Netapp NAS, NetApp Storage Grid
* VMware to v6x, SvSAN VSAN, Citrix
* F5 BIG IP
* Sound infrastructure design experience in a technology organisation with history of delivering scalable, resilient systems and platforms
* Exceptional problem solving skills
* Familiarity with the workings of retail back end systems
* Comfortable working with senior staff, both business and IT
* Experience of working with outsource partners and delivering solutions into support
* Have demonstrable documentation skills
At Argos we are no longer just about the catalogue. We have an impressive range of thousands of products for our customers, many only available online. In-fact argos.co.uk is the busiest website of any UK multichannel retailer, and we are growing our engineering teams to make it even better.
We are investing heavily in the technologies that drive our Customer Management Centres , Distribution Centres ,Stores , Head Office and of course our customer facing digital channels. The reality is that we need more good and smart people to keep this momentum going.
The teams are a mixture of retained expertise, consultants and tier one technology partners. This blend allows us to work at pace and constantly push boundaries and embrace new technologies.
Cultural fit is equally as important as skill and experience at Argos. We don’t get constrained by Project Roadmaps and processes. We build high performing inclusive teams which support and deliver outcomes that really make a difference for customers and colleagues.
We are currently refurbishing our MK Campus to provide a truly collaborative work space where exceptional people can thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, supported by superior technology and infrastructure.