Senior UI Developer
The imagining, building, operating and evolving of great technology is the engine of growth for Argos. Argos Technology is responsible for the website, Apps, our in-store digital experience, supply chain and distribution, order management and the data behind all of this. We are the engine making everything work; solving problems, building software, fast, with the aim of creating an unrivalled user experience for our customers.
We are changing our technology platform from a monolithic architecture to microservices, based on Java, React.js, Machine Learning and Cloud computing. We are looking for engineers with a strong belief in agile delivery and who believe in fully testable and maintainable code.
On top of that we want like-minded Engineers who are able to talk about what they have done, how we develop our technology and importantly shape our engineering culture here at our Technology hub in London.
What you will be doing
As a UI Developer for Argos you will be pushing cutting-edge code on the UK’s 2nd largest retail website.
* Building the new responsive UI for in store devices at Argos
* Applying best UI engineering practices with other team members, using merge requests to maintain code quality across teams.
* Working in an agile environment cooperating with Product and UX to produce an excellent, user friendly experience.
* Discussing and developing skills with other UI team members at the fortnightly UI developer meetings
* Continuous integration on the platform
* Fluxible (with the intention to migrate to Redux)
* CSS & Sass
* TDD/BDD (CucumberJS, Jasmine & Chai, JSX unit testing)
* NPM task management
* Preferably a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
* Experience in processing pull requests and keeping up standards
* Experience in testing web applications, both Unit and Functional
* Ideally you have a github presence and open source contributions
* Experience working in a retail environment
At Argos the In-store Digital Team are about building a first class customer experience. We are invested in being a Digital Retail leader but not just online, in-store too. We need visionaries who want to help us build seamless Customer Journeys that inspire. The Argos Catalogue has been at the heart of UK Retail and our customers for generations but we are going through a Digital Transformation to re-invent the instore Digital Catalogue.
Working on the latest technologies we are looking for people whom are Self Starters who want to work on solving customer problems from Browse to payment. The Instore team not only manage browse and buy but also look after the Click & Collect Experience across Argos & Sainsbury’s. Whether it is building a single page app in react or developing an android app for colleagues to track parcels, there are a variety of solutions we need to develop. You are expected to shape and develop these instore solutions by determining the most appropriate technology.
The Team have worked on a variety, from building Node.js Services to integrate with legacy applications and create bespoke APIs in AWS to creating a single page app in React for looking up reservations and paying.
When you work on the in-store team you can immediately see your results and get feedback from our customers everyday.