Location: London, Victoria
With over 60% of transactions going through our website and apps, and 70% of those on mobile devices, Argos is truly a digital first retailer.
Most people in the UK have shopped with us at some point. And most of them will have used one of our digital channels - whether it's Argos.co.uk, our award-winning apps or the custom-designed tablets in our digital stores. Working at Argos, you'll be helping millions of people to get what they want, when they want it... and hopefully raise a smile in the process.
We may be big on the outside... but on the inside we've worked hard to create a culture that feels just like a start-up. If you work here, you'll get the best of both worlds.
The Head of Digital Product Design will work closely with the Head of Digital Product Development to deliver the best digital customer experiences in retail. Influencing and then following the strategies set by the Head of Digital Product Development and the business, the Head of Digital Product Design will lead the design, UX and copywriting teams that work with engineering to create the look (UI), feel (UX) and tone (copywriting) of all customer facing digital experiences all across all digital experiences including: mobile, desktop, application, in-store and new channels as they emerge.
The look and feel of many colleague tools are also within the remit of this position.
To Partner with the Head of Digital Product Development to continuously shape and deliver the strategic vision of retail’s leading digital experience across all digital channels
Lead, inspire and manage a team of multi-disciplined creative professionals including Information Architecture (UX), Visual Design (UI), Customer research (UXR) and copywriting
Identify and drive emerging digital initiatives associated with usability, accessibility and design
Work closely with brand, CRM and CX teams to help ensure consistent tone of voice and appropriate design across all digital customer channels
Ensure digital product design members are integrated into the appropriate development virtual teams and act as responsible and accountable members of those teams
Ensure digital product design elements are reusable, reused, and executable
Work with product management and development leadership to insure the design patterns are implemented effectively
Be an advocate of well-formed and consistent digital customer product designs throughout the company
Provide regular updates to the digital leadership team of any issues or potential issues with digital product design
Provide direction and support to less experienced members of digital product management, digital product design and other digital teams to insure a consistent understanding of good design
Use customer data, whether from UXR, CRM or outside sources to inform design practices and principles
Communicate design decisions effectively to non-technical functions of the business
Identify and drive opportunities to improve digital customer experience design across the broader organisation • Work to insure effective customer experience designs based on the strategic vision of the Digital Product Development team
Key skills/ Experiences
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. Additionally, the qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required in this position:
• Relevant degree in at least one of the digital product design areas or related discipline or significant experience
• Expert or knowledgeable in design, accessibility and usability issues, proven ability to recommend and implement best practice solutions whilst meeting strategic product programmes
• Strong ability to work in an agile environment, which changes direction quickly, and a rapid pace, delivering experiences to digital customers frequently and in a matrixed team structure
• Ability to assess and implement new technologies or principles improving digital customer experiences whether visual (look) or functional (feel)
• Ability to attract and retain strong customer experience designers, researchers and copywriters who are permanent colleagues
• Strong ability to mentor and manage a multi-disciplinary creative team including organising, prioritising, suggesting changes and allocating workload in a motivational manner
• Strong customer focus whether external, internal colleagues or stakeholders
• Excellent influencing skills – demonstrated by strong interpersonal skills, confident delivery, decisiveness and demonstrable self-belief
• Ability to clearly articulate ideas and designs to executive and other senior management
So why should you work for us?
Agile working. Everyone says they do agile... but we do it the proper way. That means you'll work to a roadmap but we flex and change direction as needed. If it's right for our customers, it's right for our business.
Tangible results. You'll get stuff live - a lot. Last year we launched 329 new features on our digital channels. That's an average of 1 feature per working day.
Talented teams. We only hire the best - everyone here is an expert in their discipline. So you can trust and learn from them... and we're getting stronger every day.
Co-located colleagues To be genuinely collaborative, we all sit together: PMs, UXAs, UIs, Copywriters, UXR... and yes, our Devs & QAs are on site too!
New technology. We're truly tech-driven. That's why we're already investing in future tech trends like AR, conversational commerce, machine learning and AI.
Real ownership. You're the driving force behind your area. And you'll have just the right balance of autonomy and support to make it a success.